วันเสาร์ที่ 28 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2550

Leaving Bangkok

It took me a while to decide where exactly to go after Bangkok, but I ended up deciding on Ko Tao, an island known for good diving on the east coast of Thailand. I went to the train station that day to buy a ticket for an overnight train, but apparently they were sold out. I found a bus ticket instead which I figured would be just fine. I was sort of wrong. I got on the bus almost last and took one of the few remaining seats which was next to the bathroom. That was okay until someone had to use it and opened the door, releasing the worst smell ever. That was bad enough, but it was also apparently confusing trying to figure out where the light switch was, so people would open the door, stand around for a while and make it extra stinky in the bus, so finally I just started telling everyone where the light switch was. Then there was the fact that the door didn't close very well, so every time someone left, I'd have to get up a few minutes later to slam the door. Pretty much I didn't get any sleep on that bus which got into the pier at 4 am. We had to wait there for 3 hours until the ferry left, and luckily they had a room to lie down in so I slept a little there. Before we left, some woman came around asking if people needed somewhere to stay and learn to dive, which I did. She booked me at a place that I had heard was pretty good, so I felt better knowing I had somewhere to go when I arrived. Then we got on the ferry and I walked down into the seating area wearing some flip flops with bad traction and tried really hard not to fall down, but did anyways :(

I got a seat behind 2 fine examples of interracial couples, Thai style. This involves Thai girls that are usually fairly pretty with white guys who are either old, fat, ugly, smelly, nerdy, or all of those together. I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for them, or which one either - the girl who is with some guy she probably doesn't especially like but who will buy her things and hopefully take her out of Thailand, or the guy who clearly can't find love at home and thinks he has with one of these girls. I don't really mind seeing these couples, it's just funny mostly, but the guy I was sitting behind on the boat smelled like a mixture of stale sweat and cigarettes which was fitting since I was on the stinky trip to Ko Tao.

We got in and there was someone waiting to take me to the "resort" in a "taxi". Ko Tao is a very tiny island with not very good roads - really just one main road that is only wide enough for one car at a time. This is okay because most people ride motorbikes even though the roads are dirt with huge potholes in some spots. Anyways, my "taxi" was a pickup truck with benches in the back to sit on. I was a little nervous about falling out or something, but it proved to be nice actually, there's very little wind around here so it was nice to have a breeze as we drove. We got to my resort and I got my room which was only $7 a night and was pretty decent, though with no view unfortunately. I wanted to sleep after not really sleeping all night, but it was so hot and I only had a fan so I just lay around until I had to go watch a movie to prepare for diving lessons the next day.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: