วันศุกร์ที่ 18 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2550

More Cambodia

Another difference in Cambodia from everywhere else I've been so far is the complete absence of any Western chains. There are no McDonalds, Starbucks, Pizza Huts, Zaras, or the ubiquitous 7-11s (which I believe there are more of in Bangkok alone than in the entire North American continent - there is seriously a 7-11 on every corner, halfway along the block, on both sides of the road, and down the side streets). This must be one of the few places left in the world where you can't go to any of those places even in the big cities and tourist destinations, and it's really nice because of it. You can still get most of the same stuff as at home, you just have to go to a local shop or restaurant.

I've decided that in a way, the insane amount of tuktuk and motorcycle drivers is sort of good since you have to go to no effort at all to find one, unlike in Toronto. Walking around yesterday, it seemed easiest to just keep shaking my head the entire time since someone tried to give me a ride about every 10 seconds. Today some guy even ran after me and chased me down trying to get me to let him take me somewhere today, or plan to have him pick me up tomorrow.

Today I accidentally went to a museum (I wouldn't do that on purpose) when I was trying to go to the Royal Palace. They're next door to each other and both are pretty buildings, and I just followed a tour group that was buying tickets and ended up at the museum. It wasn't very big, they mostly just had a bunch of old Buddha statues but it was pretty cool. The only negative was that in every room there were people that would walk up to you and hand you some flowers that you're supposed to place in front of one of the Buddhas and then leave some money. After the first one though, I said no to the rest. I am now about to head to the genocide museum which should be sad but interesting.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: